Ready to change the world?
At HazAdapt, we are building the world’s most trusted and human-friendly technology for emergency communication and public wellness. Our products are used by both emergency managers and the public to facilitate hazard adaptation and foster a level of resilience and inclusivity that has never been seen in the industry before. Our team is small and cross-functional, with a focus on honesty and growth.
Humans are facing bigger and more complex disasters than ever before, and we need your help. Are you excited by the prospect of building personalized and intelligent software solutions that help people adapt to the hazards in their lives? Are you excited to build applications that have been designed to address and cater to the unique needs of a wide variety of users? Are you enticed by the idea of working closely with a group of young professionals aiming to revolutionize emergency response solutions and strategies? If you answered yes to any of these questions, this is the position for you!
We’re looking for a Chief Technology Officer to lead our team of developers building our premier suite of emergency engagement applications. This is the primary platform for the public and emergency managers to interact with, customize, and share emergency information with their families and community members. We strive to build a world where everyone, regardless of background, ability, or resources, can prepare, respond to, and recover from emergency situations in a way that uniquely suits their needs. As such, we’re looking for a leader who shares our drive to create a more resilient world through intelligent and inclusively designed technology solutions.
The pace is fast here, and people often wear multiple hats.
Here are some examples of what you will be working on:
- Contributing to product requirement definitions
- Translating product requirements into granular development tasks
- Contributing across the stack, from shipping highly inclusive UIs to developing critical backend services and public and internal APIs
- Designing, implementing, and operating our most critical and scalable services, including user identity services, cloud infrastructure, and real-time and batch data pipelines
- Deploying to both staging and production environments
- Defining and applying best practices with respect to code reviews, documentation, and development processes
- Advocating for and applying best practices when it comes to availability, scalability, operational excellence, and cost management
- Effectively mentoring junior team members
Who We Are Looking For
A hunger for growth, curiosity, and drive to build a revolutionary product is key. We put a lot of trust in our team, and that comes with some big responsibilities. Strong communication skills will be crucial here, especially now that we are remote, and we expect that you are capable of being open when it comes to work.
Here are more details on who we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree or above in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent field
- Ability to learn on the fly. We're looking for software engineers who quickly pick up new technologies and APIs. You keep yourself up-to-date with the latest technological trends. You're constantly on the lookout for opportunities to try out new things.
- 3+ years of professional software engineering experience, including testing and deploying iterative releases of software systems.
- Experience leading Agile development teams
- Experience developing scalable REST APIs, especially in a Node environment
- Experience with SQL databases
- Experience with Jest, React/React Native Testing Library, or similar unit and component testing libraries
- Experience with Cypress, Detox, or similar end-to-end (e2e) testing libraries
- Experience working in a Linux command line environment
- Experience with cloud infrastructure, cloud-scale software, and CI/CD
- Experience in working on large-scale distributed systems
- Exposure to architectural patterns of large, high-scale web applications, such as well-designed APIs, high-volume data pipelines, and efficient algorithms.
- Strong teamwork and communication skills
- Extremely comfortable working with Git and GitLab
- Experience with Expo SDK is a plus.
- Experience with Docker is a plus.
- Experience/ability to manage your own deployment cycle, from development to staging to production.
- Experience with cloud services such as AWS EC2/S3/RDS is a plus.
- Familiarity with Atomic Design or similar UI component design strategies
- An understanding of the principles of accessibility and an ability and eagerness to build products that are accessible to users with different abilities.
- There are huge kudos to be had if you have experience building inclusive products and working on A11Y accessibility standards.
- Experience with data stores and indexers like PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch. Redis is a plus.
- Experience developing client-server or distributed, multi-threaded applications
- Experience in writing solutions deployed to the cloud (AWS, Azure, etc.) and writing GRPC
- Experience in consistency trade-offs, synchronization, and caching challenges
- Familiarity in machine learning
This is a pre-revenue startup, and the work you do here is incredibly impactful. You will have a significant input and impact on a wide range of features and the company as a whole. You will also have the opportunity to earn meaningful equity.
As a pre-revenue startup, we are currently only offering this position with equity-based compensation, with the goal of offering competitive salaries in the near future.
How to Apply
Press "Apply Now" below or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply! In your email, please including the following:
- Cover letter
- A link to a showcase of your work (e.g. GitHub/GitLab or a personal website)
In your cover letter, tell us why you want to be a part of HazAdapt, and feel free to share anything that you feel makes you a special fit for our mission.